As a Construction Engineering Technician for Civil & Environmental Consultants, Inc. (CEC), you will work with several practices in our Nashville, TN office, but initially with the civil site practice. In this full-time position, the majority of your time will be spent in the field, traveling to and from project construction sites.
While at the sites, your duties will include the following:
- Observe the construction activities and conformance with the project drawings, specifications and permit requirements;
- Prepare daily field reports (DFRs) documenting the work performed for the observed time period;
- Observe collection of samples of materials to be submitted for laboratory testing (aggregate, soil, concrete) by the Contractor’s representative;
- Review and provide results of the laboratory testing (aggregate, soil, concrete) to CEC, the contractor and the client;
- Establish effective communication lines with the Contractor and report status of work to the CEC Project Manager and/or the client Project Manager;
- Interact with public agency personnel visiting the site or regarding project information requests;
- Observe the calibration of a nuclear density gauge and observe Troxler testing of compacted materials by the Contractor’s representative;
- Verify that items needed for accurate preparation of the as-built drawings, which will be part of the completion of construction report are surveyed/located;
- If indicated by the client, review for acceptance contractor invoices for payment, based upon the work performed;
- Co-ordinate delivery and review completion of contractor shop drawings, submittals, and RFIs from the CEC Project Manager;
- Take daily photographs of the work using a digital camera, file the pictures and maintain a photo log; and
- Conduct a final inspection, generate a punch list of items to be corrected (if necessary) and oversee implementation of the punch list.